Monday, February 23, 2009

College...

Many a time have I contemplated the necessity of it. I mean I LOVE learning! Like, learning's #1 fan is sitting right here! BUT!

Sometimes I wonder if on my way to getting int the real world is it worth of going to college? I look at the past 4 years and really wonder how much of what I have taken in can I actually apply to my real life.

It was fun and all learning about Greek and Roman History, and where Tanzania is on a map but when it comes down to it... that helps me not in a job.I can honestly say that I have learned more applicable information waitressing from the age of 15-20 at a 10 table dining room pizzeria than in some of my college classes. I have come to the conclusion that college doesn't actually prepare you for the real world. Thank goodness I have worked in multipule places and gathered real world skills such as:
  • how to meet board members
  • how to prove yourself to your boss
  • How to really meet a deadline
  • Not asking a thousand questions and figuring out the task on your own

It's all fine and well reading a book but, when are you going to be reading a book in the office... I mean, unless you're in publishing or something.

Maybe someone should start a class called Real World Office Skills or Conference Calls 101? I don't know I just feel that I could have probably graduated last year or maybe even the year before that and been ok.

But then again... maybe I'm just burnt out of the whole process...

2 comments:

  1. working always offers more 'real world' experience. the "great" thing about being in school is it allows time to experiment and make mistakes. supposedly. i much prefer working to school, but i figure when i get heavy into work, I'll enjoy some of the creative freedom I have now to make mistakes and figure things out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, thats what i thought my freshman year too ;)

    ReplyDelete